Inside: Use this Kindness Cookies Kind or Unkind Sort to help students determine what is kind and what is not during this sel center activity.
Cookies make the world go round…around here, we love cookies.
We make them for Christmas, as Girl Scouts we sell Thin Mints each year, and we tend to make cookies on rainy days.
To tie well-loved cookies to social emotional learning and kindness and friendship, we make Friendship Cookies with shared ingredients.
And we of course love these Kindness Cookies Kind or Unkind Sort intentionally teach sel curriculum.
What’s Included in the Kindness Cookies Kind or Unkind Sort Activity
24 cookies with kindness or unkindness clipart in color
24 cookies with kindness or unkindness clipart in black and white
Kind and Unkind sorting cookie jars in color and black and white
Kindness worksheet to help kids show what they know and determine what is kind and what is not kind in color and black and white
2 writing sheets: 1 for early writers/prewriters and 1 for writers.
How to Use this Kindness Cookies Kind or Unkind Sort
1. Purchase and download the kindness cookies activity.
2. Print the cookies in color or black and white on cardstock.
3. If you print them in black and white, color the cookies in.
4. Cut apart the cookies and laminate them for durability.
5. Go over the pictures on the cards to ensure children understand what the picture depicts. You can use these as discussion starters before or after the activity.
6. The students will sort the cards by kind actions or unkind actions by placing the cards near the correct cookie jar.
They can do this in small groups during centers, independently, or you can do it as a whole group in a pocket chart.
If there are too many cards, you can only give students half the cards at once so they are more successful.
7. To follow up on the activity, students can complete the Kind or Unkind worksheet to show their understanding.
Students will cross off or circle the actions on the worksheet. If you use the black and white version, students can color in the images that are kind and x off the images that are unkind.
8. To connect this sel curriculum to writing skills, students can draw a picture/write how they will choose to be kind this season. If students are prewriters, they can dictate their answer and draw a picture.
Kindness that is delicious and fun is a triple whammy.