Inside: Use these kind or unkind sorts as social emotional learning centers games perfect to help kids understand what is kind and what is not.
When I taught elementary school, every day was all about the centers. It was my students’ favorite part of their day when they could independently work on games or activities.
Their favorite centers were always the games that were themed to the holiday or season.
And while our centers focused on reading and writing, what we really needed to focus on was character education, social emotional learning and kindness.
So I created what I wished I had when I was a teacher: social emotional learning centers games that connect to each holiday and season that my students would have loved to have played.
And we’ve put them all together for you in this Kind or Unkind Sort Mega Bundle with 31 themed kind or unkind sorts.
What’s included in the Kind or Unkind Sort Mega Bundle:
31 Kind or Unkind Sort Social Emotional Learning Centers Games Themes to Use Year Round:
- Apple sort
- Bee sort
- Bunny Peeps sort
- Candy Sort
- Christmas sort
- Cookie sort
- Dog sort
- Flowers sort
- Gingerbread cookie sort
- Gumball sort
- Hanukkah sort
- Hearts sort
- Hot cocoa sort
- Ice Cream sort
- Kites sort
- Leaves sort
- Lemonade sort
- Mittens sort
- Pirate Treasure sort
- Popcorn sort
- Popsicles sort
- Pumpkin sort
- Rain sort
- Shamrock sort
- Shark sort
- Snowmen sort
- Sports sort
- Sun sort
- Turkey sort
- Water splashes sort
- Watermelon sort
Each kind or unkind sort comes with:
- 24 kind and unkind sorting cards in color
- 24 kind and unkind sorting cards in black and white
- Kind or Unkind mats in color
- Kind or Unkind mats in black and white
- Worksheet to show mastery
- Two writing prompts
These are perfect to use year-round through the seasons and holidays to connect social emotional learning to high interest themes students already love:
November: turkeys and leaves
December: Christmas trees and dreidels and gingerbread cookies
January: mittens and snowmen and hot cocoa
March: shamrocks and kites
April: bunny peeps and rain
May: flowers and bees
June: suns and watermelon
July: popsicles and sharks and lemonade
August: water splashes and ice cream
Year-round/anytime: dogs, sports, popcorn, pirate treasure, gum, candy, cookies
How to use the Kind or Unkind Sort Social Emotional Learning Centers Games:
1. Purchase the Kind or Unkind Sort Mega Bunde and choose which sort you want to start with, depending on what season you’re in.
2.Print and laminate the action cards and the Kind or Not Kind Mats. If you print them in black and white, you can color in the cards first.
Offer kids skin color crayons so the clipart has diverse kiddos.
3. Cut apart the cards.
4. Go over the pictures on the cards to ensure children understand what the picture depicts. You can use these as discussion starters before or after the activity.
5. The students will sort the cards by kind actions or unkind actions by placing the cards near the correct mat.
They can work in small groups in centers, independently, or as a whole group with a pocket chart.
6. To follow up on the activity, students can complete the worksheet to show their understanding.
7. To connect to writing and language arts studies, draw a picture/write how they will choose to be kind this season. Prewriters can dictate their answers and then draw a picture.
Ready to get the social emotional learning centers: Kind or Unkind Sort Mega Bundle?