Inside: Use this year long Kindness Craft and Write Bundle to tie in reading, writing, holidays and social emotional skills each month.
Elementary schools revolve around the seasons.
Yes, we teach reading, writing, and ‘rithmatic, but we infuse the holidays and seasons into almost everything we teach.
Since our students are excited about the pumpkins and the leaves and the gingerbread cookies and the snowmen, we can lean into their excitement and harness it to foster their learning. Because kids learn best when they’re excited to learn.
If we can tie in the skills we need them to learn, practice, and master (like writing, listening and speaking) to seasons and sneak in social emotional learning at the same then it’s a triple win.
And that’s exactly what we have with our Year Long Kindness Craft and Write Bundle to teach social emotional learning through each season and holiday.
How Else We Can Teach Kindness All Year Long
Just like we can’t teach the alphabet for a week and hope it sticks, we can’t teach kindness during one week and hope it sticks.
Related: Why Kindness Week Doesn’t Work
So instead, we focus on kindness a little bit each day or each week over time by making it a part of their normal, everyday life.
And because your day is already busy, it’s easiest to teach kindness when we’re also teaching other skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking, gross motor skills, science.
We can encourage them to do one kind act a day with our 100 Days of Kindness leading up to the 100th Day of School.
And we teach kindness through each holiday with these free printables:
New Year’s: Kindness Resolutions
Martin Luther King Jr. Day: A Birthday Wish for Martin
Valentine’s Day: Valentine’s Day Kindness Notes
St. Patrick’s Day: I’m Lucky Shape Poem
Earth Day: Earth Kindness
Mother’s Day: Mother’s Day Kindness Poem
Father’s Day: Father’s Day Kindness Poem
Halloween: Halloween Kindness Role Playing Cards
Thanksgiving: Gratitude Pumpkin
Christmas: Christmas Kindness Advent Calendar
Hanukah: 8 Nights of Kindness Paper Chain
And to tie in writing, listening and speaking, seasons and kindness, we use this Year Long Kindness Craft and Bundle.
What’s Included in the Year Long Kindness Craft and Write Bundle:
This Year Long Kindness Craft and Write Bundle comes with 18 Kindness Craft and Write Sets, perfect for each season and teaching kindness through each month.
- Fall– Apples, Pumpkins and Leaves
- Winter– Snowmen, Hot Cocoa, and Mittens, Gingerbread Cookies
- Spring– Kites, Flowers, and Raindrops, Easter Bunnies
- Summer-Suns, Waterdrops, Popsicles
- Year Round-Crayons, Pirate Treasure, Gumballs, Cookies
Each Kindness Craft and Write Set Comes With:
- small item in color to draw on
- small item in color to write on
- small item in black and white to draw on
- large item in black and white to draw on
- large item in black and white to write on
- 5 different writing sheets to choose from
- ideas to display kindness craft, publish writing, and connect to listening and speaking skills
How to Use the Year Long Kindness Craft and Write Sets:
1. Purchase and download the Kindness Craft and Write Year Long Bundle.
2. During the season you need a kindness activity, print off the version you wish to use on cardstock or construction paper (color or black and white).
3. If you give students the black and white version, encourage let them color in the pictures.
4. Students can get one or more of the printouts to cut and color. Encourage them to write or draw or dictate how they can show more kindness. As a group you can brainstorm ideas ahead of time.
5. To connect with writing skills even further, students can write or draw on the creative writing journal pages. These can also be added to a classroom book.
There is a draw and write version, an early elementary writing version, and a later elementary writing version.
6. To connect with listening and speaking skills, students can “present” and share their kindness writing with their peers.
Ready to Get the Year Long Kindness Craft and Write Bundle?