Inside: Teach your kids how to sew with this pumpkin sewing craft perfect for fall and autumn, Halloween and Thanksgiving.
I pulled out my Halloween box of decorations and stuffed between my pumpkins and plastic bats I found an old craft project I did when I was a young kid.
I had been taught how to sew on a meat styrofoam tray.
And my kids wanted to learn how to sew too.
So we washed some meat trays left over from dinner and got to work learning how to sew pumpkins.
Supplies needed for Pumpkin Sewing Craft:
- Meat Styrofoam trays (you can wash some from dinner or purchase them here)
- Kid-friendly, blunt sewing needles
Steps for Making the Pumpkin Sewing Craft
- Thread the blunt needle with the yarn. Cut off about 2 and half feet of yarn.
- Tie the end of the yarn with a double knot.
3. Draw a picture of a pumpkin on the back of the styrofoam tray.
4. Using the mechanical pencil, poke a hole about every 2 cms. Make sure the hole goes all the way through to the other side.
5. Tape the end of the yarn to the back of the tray and use the needle to go through the first hole.
6. Remind your young sewers to pull the yarn all the way through before putting the needle in the next hole.
7. Follow around the picture of the pumpkin to finish the sewing project.
8. As you get near the end of the sewing project, make sure the needle finishes on the back side of the meat tray. You may need to add an extra hole to make sure that happens.
9. Cut the excess yarn off, tie a double knot and tape down the end.
Happy fall, Happy autumn, and Happy Halloween all to be celebrated with this pumpkin sewing craft.
Halloween Sewing Project:
Valentine’s Day Sewing Project: