Inside: How to teach your kids how to sew with this Halloween sewing craft that’s perfect for celebrating Halloween.
My kids are already counting down until Halloween.
They love the candy, the costumes and the crafts.
And since they’ve been wanting to learn how to sew, this is the simplest way I know how to teach them…using meat trays.
And they were so excited to learn how to sew pumpkins and ghosts.
Supplies needed for Halloween Sewing Craft:
- Meat Styrofoam trays (you can wash some from dinner or purchase them here)
- Kid-friendly, blunt sewing needles
Steps for Making a Halloween Sewing Craft
1. Thread the blunt needle with the yarn. Cut off about 2 and half feet of yarn.
2. Tie the end of the yarn with a double knot.
3. Draw a picture of a pumpkin or ghost on the back of the styrofoam tray.
4.Using the mechanical pencil, poke a hole about every 2 cms. Make sure the hole goes all the way through to the other side.
The holes may need to be closer together if there are curves to your drawing (like the bottom of the ghost or the ghost’s eyes and mouth).
5. Tape the end of the yarn to the back of the tray and use the needle to go through the first hole.
6. Remind your young sewers to pull the yarn all the way through before putting the needle in the next hole.
7. Follow around the picture of the pumpkin or ghost to finish the sewing project.
8. As you get near the end of the sewing project, make sure the needle finishes on the back side of the meat tray. You may need to add an extra hole to make sure that happens.
9. Cut the excess yarn off, tie a double knot and tape down the end.
Enjoy a Happy Halloween filled with fun sewing projects!