Inside: Use this ABCs of Kindness Emergent Reader to connect the alphabet and kindness together, focusing on 26 ways to be kind, from A-Z.
When I taught Kindergarten, our focus was first and foremost, mastery of the alphabet and it’s sounds.
So we used everything at our disposal: songs, games, poems, gross motor activities, centers, playdoh.
And we try to connect it to all other disciplines as we can…but we never really connected it to social emotional learning, until now.
The alphabet lends itself well to also learning about social-emotional curriculum and kindness specifically. So from A-Z, there are 26 ways our kids can show kindness as they also master the alphabet, phonics skills, and sight words.
To help kids understand all the different ways to be kind, we can use this ABCs of Kindness Emergent Reader set.
Other Ways to Learn About the Alphabet
Kindness Zoo– Alphabet, kindness and zoo animals! There are 26 ways to be kind from A-Z with the zoo animals, from the antelopes to the zebras.
ABCs of Kindness Posters– Several versions of these A to Z kindness posters connect kindness to the alphabet.
Alphabet Gifts your kids may love as they learn their letters- make learning their abcs fun with these items that also make perfect gifts!
And we read these Alphabet books:
And we use this ABCs of Kindness Emergent Reader:
How to Use the ABCs of Kindness Emergent Reader
1. Purchase and download the ABCs of Kindness Emergent Reader Set.
2. Print out the version you wish to use: color or black and white and then cut them apart. I swear by my paper cutter I bought my first year teaching because I can’t cut a straight line.
3. Staple the book together.
3.If you use the black and white version, use these skin color crayons so students can color in the people to match the skin tones of themselves and classmates.
4. To focus more on alphabet recognition, kids can color in the bubble letters and underline letters that match.
5. Read the book together. Explain what the words mean when needed and give examples (compliment, zealously, etc.).
6. You can follow up with partner reading, silent reading, group reading, or reading to a class pet/stuffed animal.
7. Use the Discussion Starters to further the conversation about all the ways we can be kind, from A to Z.
8. Connect the reading with writing about kindness and all the ways we like ourselves.
And then continue practicing the alphabet AND practicing ways to be kind more often.
Ready to get the ABCs of Kindness Emergent Reader Set?