Inside: Use this year long Emergent Reader Bundle to tie in reading, writing, holidays and social emotional skills each month.
Elementary schools revolve around the holidays.
Yes, we teach reading, writing, and ‘rithmatic, but we infuse the holidays into almost everything we teach.
Since our students are excited about the pumpkins and the bats and the valentine’s and the presents, we can lean into their excitement and harness it to foster their learning. Because kids learn best when they’re excited to learn.
So we read about those pumpkins and valentines and we do science lessons on bats and we write about all the holidays.
If we can tie in the skills we need them to learn, practice and master to holidays and sneak in social emotional learning at the same then it’s a triple win.
And that’s exactly what we have with our Year Long Kindness Emergent Reader Bundle to teach social emotional learning through each month and holiday.
How Else We Can Teach Kindness All Year Long
Just like we can’t teach the alphabet for a week and hope it sticks, we can’t teach kindness during one week and hope it sticks.
Related: Why Kindness Week Doesn’t Work
So instead, we focus on kindness a little bit each day or each week over time by making it a part of their normal, everyday life.
And because your day is already busy, it’s easiest to teach kindness when we’re also teaching other skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking, gross motor skills, science.
We can encourage them to do one kind act a day with our 100 Days of Kindness leading up to the 100th Day of School.
And we teach kindness through each holiday with these free printables:
New Year’s: Kindness Resolutions
Martin Luther King Jr. Day: A Birthday Wish for Martin
Valentine’s Day: Valentine’s Day Kindness Notes
St. Patrick’s Day: I’m Lucky Shape Poem
Earth Day: Earth Kindness
Mother’s Day: Mother’s Day Kindness Poem
Father’s Day: Father’s Day Kindness Poem
Halloween: Halloween Kindness Role Playing Cards
Thanksgiving: Gratitude Pumpkin
Christmas: Christmas Kindness Advent Calendar
Hanukah: 8 Nights of Kindness Paper Chain
And to tie in reading, writing, listening and speaking, holidays and kindness, we use this Year Long Kindness Emergent Reader Bundle.
What’s Included in the Year Long Kindness Emergent Reader Bundle:
This Year Long Kindness Emergent Reader Set comes with 15 Emergent Reader Sets, perfect for each month and teaching kindness through each holiday.
- September- I am Kind at School
- October- Halloween Kindness
- November – I am Grateful
- November -Thanksgiving Kindness
- December- We Celebrate Differently (Interactive book)
- December -Christmas Kindness
- December – Hanukkah Kindness
- January- I Dream of Kindness for MLK Jr. Day.
- February- I Show Love and Kindness
- March- Kind Women in History for Women’s History Month
- April- I am Kind to the Earth
- May- I am Kind to Mom (includes a write-in special person version)
- June- I am Kind to Dad (includes a write-in special person version)
- July- I am Kind at Home
- August- I am a Good Friend
Each Emergent Reader Set Comes With:
- color copy for students
- black and white copy for students
- 4 writing prompts
- Discussion Starters to continue the conversation
How to Use the Year Long Kindness Emergent Reader Sets:
1. Purchase and download the Emergent Readers Bundle.
2. During the month you need the book, print off the version you wish to use (color or black and white).
3. If you give students the black and white version, give them skin color crayons to let them color in the pictures.
4. Some of the books have interactive pages where students will circle the correct answer for them.
Some books have a page/pages where kids write/draw their answer to complete the page.
If your kiddo does not have a mother or a father, the I am Kind to Mom book and I am Kind to Dad book comes with a special person version where they can write in a name meaningful to them.
5. After you staple the books, read the book together.
Then read it as a group, individually, in small groups, or to a stuffed animal.
6. Follow up and use the discussion starters to talk more about each of the books topics and how to show kindness during each month.
7. Kids can write in one of the two writing prompts from each emergent reader set to show their understanding of the concept.
Ready to Get the Year Long Kindness Emergent Reader Bundle?