Inside: Make this Valentine’s Day Countdown Craft to help kids know when they can pass out valentine’s cards with their friends.
My kids are constantly needing to know how many days are left until the next holiday.
They’re on constant countdown mode.
They plan their birthday party for the next year on their birthday this year.
They start their countdown for Christmas the day after Halloween with this Snowman Countdown Calendar.
The day after Christmas, they started counting down to the day when they exchange Valentine’s Day cards with their classmates so they can make these placemats.
To help my kids countdown–and so they stop asking me how many days are left–we needed a Valentine’s Day countdown calendar.
Other Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day as you Count down to Valentine’s Day:
Since my kids love holidays there’s no shortage of sharing the love when it comes to Valentine’s Day.
To help my kids share the love with their siblings, we use these Kindness Love Notes for the 14 days leading up to the holiday.
We also help them spread kindness to their classmates and teachers with these Kindness Valentine’s Day Notecards.
We also love to encourage our kids to volunteer with our Monthly Volunteer Challenge and the February Challenge is perfect for Valentine’s Day. It takes less than 5 minutes, costs zero dollars, and helps kids who are sick and stuck in the hospital. Get the directions here.
We have the Kindness Elves bring them Valentine’s with ideas of how to spread kindness during February.
After Valentine’s Day has passed, we turn their Valentine’s Day cards into placemats they can use year after year.
We also love doing Valentine’s Day crafts like this Valentine’s Day Pointillism and this Valentine’s Day Sewing Project.
And of course, we love to read Valentine’s Day Books!
Here are a few of our favorites:
All of these books are perfect to read as we start our Valentine’s Day Countdown!
Books for Kids Who Love to Countdown to Holidays:
Valentine’s Day Countdown Supplies Needed:
- Hearty/sturdy paper plate
- Hole punch
- Brass brads or fasteners
- Pink or red construction paper or cardstock
- Black construction paper or cardstock
- Glue or glue stick
- Ribbon or string
- Black sharpie
Valentine’s Day Countdown Calendar Directions:
1. Cut out a heart shape on the red or pink paper that will fit on the backside of the sturdy paper plate.
2. Around the heart, write the numbers 1-14.
3. Glue the heart to the backside of the paper plate.
4. Punch a hole in the top of the plate, thread the string or ribbon through, and tie a knot.
5. Cut out an arrow shape out of the black paper
6. Use the scissors to poke a small hole through the plate and through the middle of the arrow (adult task!)
7. Put the brass brad through the arrow, through the plate, and then fasten in the back.
8. Use the arrow to countdown from 14 to 1 or from 1 to 14.
Now they just need a countdown calendar to see how many days are left until they can use their Valentine’s Day countdown calendar.
What a cute idea, I’m sure my kids will love making this!
Brittany Smith says
This is a cute idea I will most definitely be using this for my class.
Nicole Black says
Great! I hope they enjoy it!