Inside: Use this Kindness Leaves Kind or Unkind Sort to help students determine what is kind and what is not during this sel center activity.
Every late August, when I’m dripping sweat by 9am and overheated all day, I long for the chillier, sweater weather fall days.
I look forward to all things pumpkin spice and leaves falling and apple picking because autumn is my most favorite season.
And I absolutely love when I can tie fall activities into kindness activities, because then it’s a win-win for everyone.
We encourage our kids to be kind throughout fall with our Fall Kindness Challenge.
And we of course love these Kindness Leaves Kind or Unkind Sort intentionally teach sel curriculum.
What’s Included in the Kindness Leaves Kind or Unkind Sort Activity
24 leaves with kindness or unkindness clipart in color
24 leaves with kindness or unkindness clipart in black and white
Kind and Unkind sorting trees in color and black and white
Kindness worksheet to help kids show what they know and determine what is kind and what is not kind in color and black and white
2 writing sheets: 1 for early writers/prewriters and 1 for writers.
How to Use this Fall-Themed Kind or Unkind Sort
1. Purchase and download the kindness leaves activity.
2. Print the leaves in color or black and white on cardstock.
3. If you print them in black and white, color the leaves in.
4. Cut apart the leaves and laminate them for durability.
5. Go over the pictures on the cards to ensure children understand what the picture depicts. You can use these as discussion starters before or after the activity.
6. The students will sort the cards by kind actions or unkind actions by placing the cards near the correct tree.
They can do this in small groups during centers, independently, or you can do it as a whole group in a pocket chart.
If there are too many cards, you can only give students half the cards at once so they are more successful.
7. To follow up the activity, students can complete the Kind or Unkind worksheet to show their understanding.
Students will cross off or circle the actions on the worksheet. If you use black and white version, students can color in the images that are kind and x off the images that are unkind.
8. To connect this sel curriculum to writing skills, students can draw a picture/write how they will choose to be kind this season. If students are prewriters, they can dictate their answer and draw a picture.