Inside: Countdown to Spring Break and focus on kindness at the same time by using this Kindness Countdown to Spring Break Paper Chain.
The stretch from January to June can feel a lot longer than it actually is…and the only real reprieve is the hope of getting to Spring Break.
Because once you get to Spring Break, it’s just a short jump to summer break.
So while we’re in the spring months there are really two ways to handle it: lean in and enjoy and count down to Spring Break at the same time.
To lean into spring, we love connecting spring with kindness and social emotional learning with our Kindness Flowers Kind or Unkind Sort, our Kindness Raindrops Kind or Unkind Sort, and our Kindness Kites Kind or Unkind Sort.
But we also can countdown to a break.
Because what most parents and educators especially love during spring is the fact that we’re getting closer and closer to a week off: Spring Break.
No alarm clocks. No school lunches packed. Vacations away or vacations on the couch.
To help countdown to our coveted Spring Break and spread acts of kindness at the same time, we use our Spring Break Kindness Paper Chain Countdown Calendar.
How to Focus on Kindness During Spring
Spring is the perfect time for new things since everything seems new after a long winter. As the snow melts and the greenery returns and new babies are born, we can also start focusing on social-emotional learning and kindness with our students.
And since Spring is chock-full of holidays, it’s easy to spread kindness during each of the holidays.
In March, we can spread kindness on St. Patrick’s Day with our I’m Lucky Kindness Notes and our I am Lucky Shamrock Shape Poem to help kids focus on why they’re grateful for the people in their lives.
In April, we can spread kindness leading up to Easter with our Easter Kindness Paper Chain and our Easter Kindness Notes. For Earth Day, we can focus on how we can show kindness to our planet with these Kindness Earth Day activities.
But we can also spread kindness every day as we countdown to Spring Break, no matter when your Spring Break happens.
Each day as we speak and act with kindness and freely giveaway our kindness to others, we’ll focus a little less on ourselves and more on others.
Daily kindness reminders like this make kindness more of a habit and less of a one-time, big grand gesture.
And it sets them up to want to be kind more often, setting the new season on the right foot…on a kinder foot.
Supplies Needed for the Countdown to Spring Break Paper Chain
- 1 ½-inch by 11-inch construction paper strips (the number of strips you need will be dependent on the number of days your kids have left until Spring break) We used shades of pastel shades for spring.
- Glue stick
- Printable countdown activities (download it below).
How to Use the Kindness Paper Chain Countdown to Spring Break
1. Download and print the paper chain countdown printables (download it below).
2. Cut each of the activities. Choose the best ones for you and the number you need depending on when you start and how many days are left until Spring Break.
3. Glue each of the activities on one strip of the construction paper.
4. Loop the strip into a circle, with the activity facing in, and carefully staple the ends together.
5. Make another kindness activity strip. Put it through the first circle, loop it into its own circle, and then staple the ends together.
6. Continue with each construction paper strip, gluing the kindness activities down, and linking them all together.
The last strip in the link will be their last day before Spring Break!
7. Hang up the countdown to Spring Break calendar where it can be easily seen so it’s a visual representation of how many days left until break.
8. Each day, rip off the top loop, do the kindness activity and celebrate them for focusing on giving.
As the strip gets shorter and shorter, so will the days in school.
So when your kids ask, “How many days until Spring Break starts?” you can point to the paper chain and count the links left on your countdown chain.
And after focusing on spreading kindness, you’ll know you’re almost there to the days off!
And once you make it to Spring Break, you’re super close to summer break!